Help for non-English speakers
If you need help to understand this policy, please contact 9484 1544 or access Google Translate.
The purpose of this policy is to provide an outline of the complaints process at Preston South Primary School so that parents and members of the community are informed of how they can raise complaints or concerns about issues arising at our school and ensure that all complaints regarding Preston South Primary School are managed in a timely, effective, fair and respectful manner.
This policy relates to complaints brought by parents, carers, students or members of our school community and applies to all matters relating to our school. In some limited instances, we may need to refer the complainant to the Department of Education and Training process where there are different mechanisms in place to review certain decisions, for example, expulsion appeals.
Preston South Primary School welcomes feedback, both positive and negative, and is committed to continuous improvement. We value open communication with our families and are committed to understanding complaints and addressing them appropriately. We recognise that the complaints process provides an important opportunity for reflection and learning.
We value and encourage open and positive relationships with our school community. We understand that it is in the best interests of students for there to be a trusting relationship between families and our school.
When addressing a complaint, it is expected that all parties will:
Preparation for raising a concern or complaint
Preston South Primary School encourages parents, carers or members of the community who may wish to submit a complaint to:
You are welcome to have a support person to assist you in raising a complaint with our school. Please advise us if you wish to have a support person to assist you, and provide their name, contact details, and their relationship to you.
Preston South Primary School is always happy to discuss with parents/carers and community members any concerns that they may have. Concerns in the first instance should be directed to your child’s teacher or Year Level Coordinators. Where possible, school staff will work with you to ensure that your concerns are appropriately addressed.
Where concerns cannot be resolved in this way, parents or community members may wish to make a formal complaint to the Principal or Assistant Principal, noting that formal complaints should be directed to a member of the school’s leadership team.
If you would like to make a formal complaint, in most cases, depending on the nature of the complaint raised, our school will first seek to understand the issues and will then convene a resolution meeting with the aim of resolving the complaint together.
The following process will apply:
1. Complaint received: Please either email, telephone or arrange a meeting through the front office with the Assistant Principal or Principal, to outline your complaint so that we can fully understand what the issues are. We can discuss your complaint in a way that is convenient for you, whether in writing, in person or over the phone.
2. Information gathering: Depending on the issues raised in the complaint, the Principal or Assistant Principal may need to gather further information to properly understand the situation. This process may also involve speaking to others to obtain details about the situation or the concerns raised.
3. Response: Where possible, a resolution meeting will be arranged with the Assistant Principal/Principal to discuss the complaint with the objective of reaching a resolution satisfactory to all parties. If after the resolution meeting we are unable to resolve the complaint together, we will work with you to produce a written summary of the complaint in the event you would like to take further action about it. In some circumstances, the Principal may determine that a resolution meeting would not appropriate. In this situation, a response to the complaint will be provided in writing.
4. Timelines: Preston South Primary School will acknowledge receipt of your complaint as soon as possible (usually within two school days) and will seek to resolve complaints in a timely manner. Depending on the complexity of the complaint, Preston South Primary School may need some time to gather enough information to fully understand the circumstances of your complaint. We will endeavour to complete any necessary information gathering and hold a resolution meeting where appropriate within 10 working days of the complaint being raised. In situations where further time is required, Preston South Primary School will consult with you and discuss any interim solutions to the dispute that can be put in place.
Please note that unreasonable conduct (e.g. vexatious complaints) may need to be managed differently to the procedures in this policy.
Where appropriate, Preston South Primary School may seek to resolve a complaint by:
In some circumstances, Preston South Primary School may also ask you to attend a meeting with an independent third party, or participate in a mediation with an accredited mediator to assist in the resolution of the dispute.
If you are not satisfied that your complaint has been resolved by the school, or if your complaint is about the Principal and you do not want to raise it directly with them, then the complaint should be referred to the North-West Region by contacting 1300 338 691.
Preston South Primary School may also refer a complaint to North West Region if we believe that we have done all we can to address the complaint.
For more information about the Department’s parent complaints process, including the role of the Regional Office, please see: Raise a complaint or concern about your school.
This policy will be communicated to our school community in the following ways:
Further Information and Resources
The Department’s Policy and Advisory Library (PAL):
The Department’s parents website:
· Raise a complaint or concern about your school
Policy review and approval
Policy last reviewed: 14/02/2022
Approved by: Principal
Next scheduled review date: 14/02/2026
Copyright © 2023 Preston South Primary School - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder